Many of our families benefit from government programs that can help cover the health care and living expenses associated with our children’s disabilities. We’re here to help break it all down!
What benefits are available and who is eligible?
Depending on your income, your child’s age and diagnosis, and other factors, there are many programs you can take advantage of.
- If your child is under the age of three and has a qualifying disability, your local Regional Center can provide early intervention services such as occupational and physical therapy. Regional Center also offers other services such as respite, Self-Determination, social skills classes, and recreational funding. Find out if your child is eligible for Regional Center services after age three here.
- Medi-Cal is California’s Medicaid program, which provides health care coverage based on a variety of factors including income, adoption/foster care status, and disability. Medi-Cal may also fund medical supplies (such as diapers and feeding-tube formula) and durable medical equipment (DME).
- Medi-Cal also offers a program called In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) that can provide home-based personal care services or fund parent providers for a certain number of hours each month.
- California Children’s Services funds diagnostic and treatment services to children under age twenty-one with eligible medical conditions. Children who do not qualify due to income may still qualify for their Medical Therapy Program, which can provide physical and occupational therapy as well as DME.
- Learn more about these and other funding resources here.
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020