Undivided Resources
Parent Question
Can my child still get special education services after they graduate high school?

Can my child still get special education services after they graduate high school?

Published: Mar. 7, 2022Updated: Mar. 17, 2022

Once a student graduates with a high school diploma, they are no longer eligible for special education and related services through the school district. Dr. Sarah Pelangka explains, “If a student has their certificate of completion, they can, by law, remain in the post-secondary program until their twenty-second birthday, give or take, depending on when their birthday falls within the year. If they graduate with a diploma, their special education services end.” But while the school district is no longer allowed to provide services after graduation, a student does have access to services through other agencies.

For more information on this topic, check out our article Building a Goal-Oriented Future: Earning a Diploma or a Certificate of Completion.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California