Does my child need an educational therapist?

Parent Question
Feb. 2, 2022Updated Mar. 15, 2022

An educational therapist (ET) is a professional who combines educational and therapeutic approaches for evaluation, individualized intervention, case management, and advocacy on behalf of children and adults with learning disabilities or other learning challenges. Unlike tutors who work with a student on classwork, homework, and tests (essentially reinforcing what was already taught in the classroom), an ET focuses on addressing the causes of the individual’s academic challenges. ETs are often hired to help those with attention or learning challenges, who need support with executive functioning skills, or who need specialized instruction. If your child has higher support needs, you’ll want to look for an ET who has experience working in special education with kids who have more significant disabilities.

For more information on what educational therapists do, check out our article Educational Therapy 101.


Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox

Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Identify near-term goals and priorities
Develop a vision for your child and family
Map out strategies to execute near- and long-term goals
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California