Undivided Resources
Parent Question
How can I request school supports for PDA in my child's IEP?

How can I request school supports for PDA in my child's IEP?

Published: May. 15, 2024

Pathological demand avoidance (PDA) is not a recognized qualifying category for an IEP, but if your child is eligible under another category, you can talk to your IEP team about accommodations and supports.

Education Advocate Lisa Carey suggests that you have information about what works for your child around placing demands in the IEP under accommodations. You can get the description of what PDA is and add it to the IEP. You can also add this information to your child's All About Me document for teachers and providers. You may want to add the FBA information in there as well as far as how to help prevent behavior from happening, the “tells” of the behavior, and other relevant information.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California