What if a school isn't providing supports for extracurricular activities?

Parent Question
Feb. 26, 2022Updated Mar. 17, 2022

If your school district is denying your child’s right to participate in extracurricular activities, regulations under IDEA and the Americans with Disabilities Act offer protections and enforcement procedures. IDEA allows you to:

  • make a Part B due process complaint in the form of a written letter to the district, which will lead to a due process hearing to resolve the conflict; and
  • file a compliance complaint with the California Department of Education, formally asking them to investigate the violation.

The Americans with Disabilities Act allows you to:

  • make a discrimination complaint with the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

For more information on extracurricular activities, check out our article Extracurricular Rights 101.


Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox

Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Identify near-term goals and priorities
Develop a vision for your child and family
Map out strategies to execute near- and long-term goals
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California