What if the school district won’t fund an assessment I request?

Parent Question
Jun. 22, 2022Updated Jun. 22, 2022

Parents may want to request less common Independent Educational Evaluations. According to Dr. Sarah Pelangka, it depends on the type of assessment. (An assessment for low vision is probably the most common request she sees that falls into this less-common category.) If a family wants to get reimbursed for an unconventional assessment, they need to provide evidence that their child has a need for a service resulting from that assessment. In addition, if families pay out of pocket for a service recommended by that assessor, and their child makes meaningful progress, they can seek reimbursement from the district for the expense of that service.

For more information, see our article about IEEs.


Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox

Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Identify near-term goals and priorities
Develop a vision for your child and family
Map out strategies to execute near- and long-term goals
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California