Undivided Resources
Parent Question
What should I do if my request for an FBA is refused?

What should I do if my request for an FBA is refused?

Published: Feb. 2, 2022Updated: Jan. 30, 2024

The school must give you prior written notice, and just as with all disputed assessments, you can respond by filing for due process or mediation. There are also a variety of alternative dispute resolution possibilities offered by all school districts. Parents always have the option to get an FBA done privately, on their own dime, and the school district has to not only allow the assessor onto campus to conduct the observation but also consider the completed assessment.

For more about FBAs, see our article Functional Behavioral Assessments 101.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California