Undivided Resources
Parent Question
What transition services does Regional Center provide?

What transition services does Regional Center provide?

Published: Sep. 8, 2023

Planning for transition to adulthood begins at age 14 and is a collaborative effort between the IEP team, Regional Center, and other relevant agencies such as the Department of Rehabilitation where appropriate. The school district bears the primary responsibility for coordinating these services as long as the child is enrolled in special education, but Regional Center should be involved in some capacity, and the IPP should reflect transitional goals. Some Regional Centers will transfer consumers to a new service coordinator at age 14 if they have a separate department for transition-age children. Preparation for the transition to adulthood may involve aspects such as development of independent living skills, plans for where your child will live as an adult, preparation for work or training programs, and more.

See our article The Transition to Adulthood for more information.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California