Undivided Resources
Parent Question
Where are In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provided?

Where are In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provided?

Published: Feb. 2, 2022Updated: Sep. 7, 2023

IHSS services generally must be provided in the recipient’s home (aside from exceptions such as accompaniment to doctor visits). However, IHSS recipients are not required to remain in their homes at all times. If your child is allotted a certain amount of time for diapering or g-tube feeding, for example, that doesn’t mean that every single diaper change or tube-feeding you carry out must take place in the home. However, you will not be awarded additional time to allow these tasks to take place outside the home, with the exception of accompaniment and wait time for doctor visits in some cases (see the above section “What services are provided by IHSS?”).

IHSS providers cannot be paid for services rendered at the recipient’s home while the recipient is away on vacation, out of the country, or in the hospital. IHSS providers also cannot be paid for providing direct care to the recipient during a hospitalization. If your child is hospitalized, you should notify your child’s caseworker. You cannot bill for IHSS services on a day that your child spent fully inpatient, but you can bill for services performed at home on the day of admission and for services performed at home on the day of discharge.

If your child is out of the state or country for more than 30 days, their eligibility for IHSS may be impacted due to state residency rules. If your family is traveling out of state, you may wish to speak with your service coordinator ahead of time and get written approval to bill hours during this time, and, if you will be traveling for an extended period, to make sure that IHSS eligibility itself is not disrupted. You can review the Manual of Policy and Procedures, sections 30-770 for further details.

For more information about what to expect with IHSS, see our article In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) 101.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California