Undivided Resources
Choose Your IHSS Provider

Choose Your IHSS Provider

Published: Jul. 3, 2021Updated: Nov. 30, 2023

Featured image

If you are ineligible to be a parent provider for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), you must hire someone to perform the authorized services. Learn more about parent providers and third-party providers here.

Parent providers

A parent can be paid as their child’s IHSS provider only if the parent is prevented from working full-time (40 hours per week) due to the child’s extraordinary needs, and there is not another suitable provider available with a legal obligation to care for the child. In a two-parent household, the non-provider parent must be unavailable due to full-time work, full-time enrollment in college or vocational training, or disability. Parent providers must be eligible to work in the United States, and will be required to complete background checks and fingerprinting (there is a LiveScan fee for this requirement) as well as an orientation session.

Check out this explanation from Undivided's Public Benefits Specialist, Lisa Concoff Kronbeck:

According to All County Letter 15-45, the parent who works full-time is not considered to be a suitable provider if they’re only available to care for the child during non-work hours, such as nights, weekends, and holidays. If your social worker tells you that you cannot be paid for services provided during non-work hours because a second parent is available at that time, provide them with a copy of ACL-15-45, and direct them to the Q&A section, which reads as follows:

“Q. MPP Section 30-763.455 states "A parent provider.........shall be paid for performing authorized services regardless of the presence of the parent in the home, including non-work hours, weekends and holidays." In a two-parent home with one parent being the IHSS provider, is the other parent, who is employed outside the home, considered a suitable provider when they are available during non-work hours, weekends and holidays?

A. No, a parent, who is employed full-time, is not considered a “suitable provider” if he/she is only available during non-work hours, weekends, and holidays. “IHSS may be purchased from a parent under the condition that the parent has left full-time employment or is prevented from full-time employment because no other provider is available…” (MPP Section 30- 763.451). This section refers to the presence of the other parent/non-provider parent in the home and should not affect payment to the parent provider.”

Note: Parent-provider income is tax-exempt per IRS Notice 2014-7. Parent providers should fill out the live-in provider certification form to notify the state that they should not issue a W-2 or withhold payroll taxes. Parents should speak with their tax advisor regarding how best to report IHSS income as non-taxable income on their tax return.

The live-in provider form can be found here. The certification may also be completed online in the IHSS electronic timesheet portal, but we suggest you complete and submit this form with the rest of your application paperwork to avoid any confusion.

On a related note, a parent-provider’s IHSS income cannot be deemed to the child for purposes of income-based eligibility assessment for the child, such as for SSI or for Regional Center co-pay assistance.

Third-party providers

If you are ineligible to be a parent provider, you must hire someone to perform the authorized services. If you need assistance locating a provider, call the Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC), the Public Authority for Los Angeles County IHSS providers. PASC operates a Provider Registry and will provide you with referrals to providers. Contact PASC at (877) 565-4477 or visit their website.

You may also have a family member or family friend become authorized to provide IHSS services. As with parent providers, third-party providers must be eligible to work in the United States, and will be required to complete background checks, fingerprinting and orientation.



Parent providers

Third-party providers

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Related Parent Questions

How many IHSS hours can I receive for protective supervision?
Severely impaired recipients will receive protective supervision hours on top of their other hours, up to a maximum of 283 hours per month. Non-severely impaired recipients will receive their monthly hours plus 195 protective supervision hours.
What if I’m denied IHSS?
It is very common to be denied for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) the first time around, but many families succeed after appealing by requesting a state hearing.
What can In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) pay for?
For children, authorized In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) may include personal care services, meal preparation, paramedical services, accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision to prevent injury to themselves or others.


Undivided Editorial TeamStaff

Reviewed by Undivided Editorial Team, #### Contributors Lisa Concoff Kronbeck, Undivided Public Benefits Specialist Lisa Concoff Kronbeck, Undivided Public Benfits Specialist

Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California