Undivided Resources
Parent Question
How can I request general education placement if the district offers a segregated placement?

How can I request general education placement if the district offers a segregated placement?

Published: May. 30, 2024

If your child's school district offers a specialized placement but you would prefer to enroll your child in a general education placement, you can ask for that during the IEP process.

You should tour the school/classroom that the district offers and list why this would not be an appropriate placement for your child. (See our school tour checklist here.) You may also want to review the resources in our inclusion article to discuss with your IEP team about the benefits of inclusion in gen ed.

If the district won’t budge, you can potentially find private placement, file due process, send a 10-day letter of intent to leave the school, and see if the school will pay for the private placement. See Private School 101 for more information about this route.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California