Undivided Resources
Parent Question
How can I resolve my disagreement with my child's IEP team?

How can I resolve my disagreement with my child's IEP team?

Published: Feb. 25, 2022Updated: Sep. 22, 2023

Once you’ve determined which components of your child’s IEP you disagree with, you can request:

  • a meeting to negotiate with the IEP team;
  • an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE); requesting an IEE can be beneficial if you feel new information about your child’s abilities will help you negotiate with the IEP team);
  • alternative dispute resolution (ADR), which is an informal process that is used to come to an agreement (it is important to note that you will not lose the right to go to due process by requesting ADR);
  • mediation, in which a qualified third party will mediate the resolution process; or
  • a due process hearing (if the district feels they offered you FAPE and a fair IEP, they can also file due process).

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California