Undivided Resources
Parent Question
If I disagree with the school assessment for an IEP, can I get a second opinion?

If I disagree with the school assessment for an IEP, can I get a second opinion?

Published: Mar. 14, 2022Updated: Jun. 28, 2022

If you disagree with the school’s assessment, you may request an Independent Educational Evaluation. While there is no specific statutory timeline for a district to respond to a request, it is expected that the district responds “without unnecessary delay.” In California, it is recommended that districts respond within 10–15 calendar days after receiving a request.

For more, see our article about IEEs.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California