Undivided: Educational Assessments and Evaluations

IEP Assessments



Assessments are used to determine if a child is eligible for special education services and what kind of supports may be helpful in the classroom. If you disagree with the results of a school's assessment of your child, you have the right to an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE). Learn more about this process and the role that thorough and accurate assessments play in your child's education.

What kinds of assessments will my child receive, and who does them?

IEP assessments measure a child’s health, vision, hearing, social-emotional skills, academic performance, communication, and motor abilities. They are typically conducted by a school psychologist, special education teacher, and any additional service providers that are relevant to the student’s disability including speech, occupational, behavioral, vision, audiology, orientation & mobility, assistive technology, AAC, and physical therapists. They must also be administered in the child’s first language or mode of communication so that the assessments accurately reflect their achievement level. To learn more about the main types of assessments and how to know what to ask for, check out this video clip.



What kinds of assessments will my child receive, and who does them?

How often should my child be assessed?

What should I do if I disagree with the school’s assessment of my child?

When is a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) conducted?

Why should I request my child’s assessments before an IEP meeting?

Related Parent Questions

If I disagree with the school assessment for an IEP, can I get a second opinion?
If you disagree with the school’s assessment, you may request an Independent Educational Evaluation. In California, it is recommended that districts respond within 10–15 calendar days after receiving a request for an IEE.
How do I request an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE)?
When developing your IEP, the first step to requesting an independent assessment is to submit a written letter to the school district stating that you disagree with the district’s assessment of your child. The district has two choices on what happens next.
When would my child need a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA)?
A Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) can be conducted when the IEP team determines it would be appropriate for the child, or when a change in placement is being sought due to behaviors. Learn when the school district must be legally responsible for funding an FBA.

Latest Resources


Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California