IHSS: In-Home Supportive Services

IHSS: In-Home Supportive Services



In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) can fund home-based care to meet your child's needs and support your family. Learn how to take advantage of this Medi-Cal program, what it offers, what documents you'll need to apply, and what to do if you receive a denial.

Who is eligible for IHSS?

IHSS is a Medi-Cal program, so in order to apply, your child must first be eligible for Medi-Cal based on your household income or using the institutional deeming waiver. From there, your child’s eligibility for IHSS hours will be assessed based on how their care needs exceed that of a typically developing child of the same age.



Who is eligible for IHSS?

How do I become a parent provider?

What should I do to prepare for a home visit?

When and how can I appeal IHSS’s decision?

Related Parent Questions



Brittany OlsenUndivided Editor

An editor and cartoonist who loves using words and images to simplify and share ideas. She has ten years of experience as a copy editor and lives near Portland, Oregon. She often spends her free time going on nature walks with her dog or trying new bread recipes.

Reviewed by Jennifer Drew, Undivided Senior Editor

Promise Image
Each piece of content has been rigorously researched, edited, and vetted to bring you the latest and most up-to-date information. Learn more about our content and research process here.
A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California