Undivided: Parent Questions

Parent Questions

Show filtersAdvanced search
How do I update or amend my child's IPP?
Ask your service coordinator to set up an IPP meeting, and together you can review your child's needs and services in order to revise the IPP.
Where can I find templates to help with my child's IEP?
We’ve put together printable templates and sample letters to make it easier to stay organized and communicate with your IEP team about your child’s needs.
Where can I find a wheelchair or other DME for my child?
If your child is without equipment while waiting for their DME order to process, leverage the power of your local community, both in-person and online.
How do I get DME for my child faster?
Delays related to DME can be incredibly frustrating, but we have a few tips for navigating and getting the most out of this flawed system.
What if Medi-Cal denies my child's DME?
If your request for DME is denied, you can request a hearing with Medi-Cal to appeal the decision.
What is durable medical equipment (DME)?
Durable medical equipment refers to medical supports and devices that can withstand repeated uses over time, such as mobility aides and oxygen tanks.
Can my child get DIR Floortime in school instead of ABA?
For a student 1:1 support, the aide should not be someone supervised by a BCBA or someone doing ABA but someone trained in DIR.
How can I support my child with dyscalculia?
You can help your child with dyscalculia at home by showing math and numbers in a positive light. Try fun games involving math and work on advocacy skills.
What are IEP and 504 accommodations for dyscalculia?
Accommodations for dyscalculia can help reduce math-related anxiety, such as extra time for tests and assignments as well as assistive technology.
How is dyscalculia treated?
What are the signs of dyscalculia?
Like other learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dyscalculia is identified by persistent difficulties in academic skills related to math and numbers.
What is dyscalculia?
Dyscalculia is a learning disability that impacts a person’s ability to understand math and other number-based information.
How can I support my child with dysgraphia?
Support your child at home by making sure they have access to the same accommodations they have at school, and try fun activities that improve fine motor skills.
What are IEP and 504 accommodations for dysgraphia?
Some common dysgraphia accommodations include use of voice-to-text and typing, pen grips, extra time for assignments and tests, and spacing paper.
How is dysgraphia treated?
Common interventions for dysgraphia include occupational therapy, structured literacy programs, handwriting curricula, and multisensory teaching techniques.
What are the signs of dysgraphia?
Common signs of dysgraphia include frequent erasing, poor spelling, cramped grip, and unusual wrist, body, or paper position while writing.
What is dysgraphia?
Like dyslexia and dyscalculia, dysgraphia is a learning disability. Differences in the brain cause struggles with written language.
What is masking?
Masking is a social coping strategy that involves hiding behaviors of a disability like autism in order to manage social situations and fit in with others.
Why are boys diagnosed with autism more often than girls?
Boys who are diagnosed with autism outnumber girls four to one, but there are complicated factors involved in why girls are diagnosed less often.
What is a sensory diet?
A sensory diet is a set of strategies and activities created by an occupational therapist to help a child better cope with sensory processing difficulties.
Whare are IEP and 504 accommodations for sensory processing issues?
How your child’s sensory diet will look depends on their specific sensory profile and the severity of their behaviors in response to sensory discomfort.
How is sensory processing disorder treated?
Once an occupational therapist has developed a solid understanding of your child’s sensory profile, they can draft a sensory diet.
What is sensory processing disorder?
People with sensory processing issues struggle to self-regulate their sensory systems, especially when feeling overstimulated or understimulated.
What transition services does Regional Center provide?
The school district bears the primary responsibility for transition services, but Regional Center should be involved, and the IPP should reflect transitional goals.

Join the Undivided Community to get more resources like this in your inbox

A Navigator is your Partner at each turn
Every Undivided Navigator has years of experience supporting families raising kids with disabilities or parenting their own. Partner with an Undivided Navigator for a free Kickstart to learn first hand what support feels like!
Expert-driven content, guidance, and solutions.
Member events and office hours with real answers, plus access to our private parents' group.
Priority to begin a free Kickstart of the Undivided Support System with a dedicated Navigator.
“It’s so helpful to have one place that you can go to get many answers.”–Leeza Woodbury, with Navigator Kelly since 2020
*Currently offering Navigator Kickstarts to residents of California